Search This Blog

December 11, 2022

Draft version - From Gardener to CEO of the Garden

Draft version 

6 months ago, I had described the transformation of my dull concrete balcony into a green oasis , my own little zen garden.  Sharing an update on how that garden has evolved and in turn how the garden has incfluenced me . Here are  two compelling learnings.

1. Over the course of last year I must have dealt with over 80 different varieties of plants.  

Some plants showed a lot of promise during the interview at Lowes / Home Depot, but after I planted them in my garden, they withered away. Never living to their potential. ( Kaleidoscope abelia, Debutante camellia, Wax Myrtle )

Some plants showed little enthusiasm or growth at the start but when I moved them to a different location , they suddently burst into life, as if they had found their corner.  Benjamin ficus is a great example once I moved it outdoor from inside, it just flourished with abondon and is a predominant feature.

Some plants (creepers) did not show any motivation to grow vertically inspite of providing enough climbing aids, but when I had them situated next to each other, as if by magic , they combined forces and grew by several feet just within a few months, constantly out doing each other but at the same time relying each other to grow, coopetition in its truest form. Mandevilla sun parasol, Dipladenia madinia white and Carolina Jessamine are in that active coopetition.

Some plants I brought with low expecations but they just hit it off as if this garden was their destiny. For example , Cape Honeysuckle, within months it just grew from 4 feet into a 9 feet plant towering over all others. 

It has been such a revealation. Arent we all humans just like plants , we wither away sometimes but flourish gloriously in a garden where we feel we belong.

2. Another learning I had was managing a garden was akin to running an organization. Starting with conceiving the vision itself, what you want that garden to be , execution strategy to bring that to life and maintain it. Beauty is nothing in a garden is static just like in any organization, its a dynamic , constantly changing.. 

From a Gardener to a CEO of my Garden !

No comments: